We know through surveys of our members that finding new customers is their biggest challenge, followed by managing family and business responsibilities and handing finances.
The UPS Store ran an extensive survey of small business owners about their biggest challenges. They found:
- Small-business owners perceive marketing as a challenge. Nearly one-third of all respondents (31%) stated that marketing and/or branding their business was one of their biggest business challenges.
- Approximately half of all respondents (51%) had marketing “very” or “extremely” high on their list of business priorities. Those who had marketing low on their list of priorities stated that they rely mostly on word-of-mouth/referrals (16%), do not have the time (15%) or do not need marketing/already have it (15%).
- Many respondents expressed an open mind to expanding their marketing efforts. More than three-fourths of participants (76%) strongly agree/agree that there is room to expand their marketing efforts.
- Small business owners view each other as the best resource. Two-thirds of respondents (68%) agreed that they view small-business owners as a community that could serve as collective resource for one another.
- Small business owners crave connections. Half of respondents (51%) stated that making connections/building relationships would be the most beneficial to them when networking with other small businesses. Likewise, a majority of respondents (61%) would prefer to make these connections through local, in-person meet-ups.
Running a business is hard work and we wanted to recognize some of our Business Among Moms members that are crushing it! And May just happens to be Small Business Month:
Cinchshare allows you to schedule and management Facebook Posts, Parties and Pinterest Pins from anywhere. Founded by a successful direct sales professional, Jennifer Johnson; she and her husband have created a tool that is becoming one of the top used and recommended scheduling platforms by direct sellers in just a couple of short years. Customers are reporting triple digit sales increases and a more consistent, balanced, interactive, engaging and FUN social media presence.
Chart á la Carte designs unique & attractive products to meet a variety of practical life needs, from life organization to household communication & parenting tools. We are excited for our online community to be a fresh space of creative inspiration!
The most anticipated products include magnetic pinboards with a removable frame so that you can easily change the fabric, and, erasable display magnets that can contain whatever charts, checklists and schedules that you need to organize your life beautifully! Visit their site for access to 50% off all products when they launch their Kickstarter in June!
Eggdrop launched a year ago and is the first subscription service kids that love surprise eggs and unboxing (and who doesn’t). They partner with brands like Shopkins, My Little Pony, Pixar and Marvel to provide a unique and fun monthly subscription service for families.
These are just a few of the THOUSANDS of success stories from within the Business Among Moms community. One of the biggest benefits that our members report is the access to a supportive, smart and helpful community that can propel their business toward success because we all know, running a business is hard work!
Who are some of the businesses you’d like to recognize? Shout them out in the comments or tweet us and use the hashtag #smallbizsalute